Closing date: Open until filled
Classification: Senior Manager
You have always stood up and stood out. Confident, courageous and directed, you are passionate about people and issues that affect them.
With a calling to the accounting profession, you are not satisfied simply crunching the numbers. You embrace accountability for results, both for yourself and for others, especially institutions and individuals entrusted with serving the public.
You thrive in an environment that demands both creative and analytical thinking. You love Alberta, and you feel destined to do work that has an impact on the lives of Albertans today and into the future.
The Office of the Auditor General of Alberta.
Are you seeking an opportunity to leverage your strong financial statement audit experience, while also leading performance audits to take the next step in your career? If so, consider becoming an Audit Manager at the Office of the Auditor General of Alberta in Calgary and being part of our diverse Energy and Post-Secondary auditing sector.
Reporting to an Engagement Leader, you will demonstrate your extensive knowledge of financial statement audit methodology and accounting standards, while thoroughly assessing and analyzing complex accounting and audit issues. In addition to financial statement audits, you will also be responsible for performance audits and take a leadership role in auditing and examining government management control systems and processes designed to achieve specific objectives. You will lead the planning, execution, and reporting of both financial and performance audits, while ensuring effective and compliant reporting with auditing standards and legislation.
As an Audit Manager, you will enable a team of independent, self-managed professionals through on-the-job coaching and use a collaborative process that fosters employee ownership and personal responsibility. Your role also includes mentoring CPA candidates and acting as a People Leader— providing direction, guidance and support to staff and input into People and Culture processes, while driving engagement and accountability.
This role requires strong critical thinking, business acumen, leadership, conflict management and audit skills. You must have the ability to make decisions requiring a considerable degree of technical understanding and build collaborative relationships in a team environment with staff, colleagues and audit entities. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Your understanding of the legislative audit process and your ability to apply tact, diplomacy, and professional judgement in dealing with complex audit challenges are key determinants to your success in this role.
- A Canadian CPA Designation with the right to practice public accounting
- A minimum of five years of directly related audit experience, including the development of detailed audit plans, risk and control assessment
- Experience in a supervisory role and leading teams
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- In-depth knowledge of Canadian Auditing Standards is required, and familiarity with Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards and IFRS is desired
- Experience in the energy sector, public sector or large public practice firm, and knowledge of investigative research techniques, performance measurement systems, program evaluation and performance analysis are considered an asset
Compensation Plan Includes:
- Out-of-town and overnight travel within Alberta is required for this position.
- Applications submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
- This position works 36.25 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with overtime as required.
- Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security clearance.
How to apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter below outlining why you want to work for the Office of the Auditor General and how you will contribute to the success of our organization.
Please save your file as first and last name – position title and include your cover letter and resume as one file.
We thank all candidates for their interest in our organization; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Office of the Auditor General is committed to a diverse and inclusive public service that reflects the population we serve to best meet the needs of Albertans. Consider joining a team where diversity, inclusion, and innovation are valued and supported. For more information on diversity and inclusion, please visit https://www.alberta.ca/diversity-inclusion-policy.aspx
If you would like further information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.