On March 4, 2014, Premier Redford asked the auditor general to perform a special duty under Section 27(2) of the Auditor General Act. We accepted Premier Redford’s request on March 7, 2014 and formally communicated the scope of our work to Premier Hancock on April 15, 2014.
Objective and Scope
Our objectives were to:
- review the Government of Alberta’s travel, meal and hospitality expense and disclosure policies and provide advice on whether the policies provided a framework for the most effective and efficient use and disclosure of public resources in the course of mandated government business
- assess whether Premier Redford and the Office of the Premier’s employees complied with the Government of Alberta’s:
- travel, meal and hospitality expense policy
- public disclosure of travel and expense policy
- Air Transportation Services (ATS) policies
- assess if the Department of Treasury Board and Finance has adequate processes to assess the ATS program to ensure the program is meeting its objectives, considering risks and benefits
We also decided subsequent to Premier Redford’s request to examine the Edmonton Federal Building redevelopment plan and specifically the development of the 11th floor.
Premier Redford and her office used public resources inappropriately.