In July 2013 we reported that Athabasca University did not have well-designed project controls and strategies to manage the Administrative Systems Renewal Project it planned to implement. We recommended that the university formalize and improve its:
- business change management planning
- project management controls
The university has implemented our recommendations by:
- defining business change plans and preparing business areas to follow the new system and processes, ensuring they understood the project scope, process changes and internal control changes
- introducing a formal project management approach that relies on defined project controls and standards
- hiring a new chief information officer and program manager
We used a project scorecard in the original audit to highlight where the university needed to improve its approach to business change management, project management and IT governance risks. Following is an update to our original assessment.