We assessed the two outstanding recommendations from March 2015 for the Dam Safety Program. We found both of these recommendations have been implemented:
- Develop a plan to regulate dams and report on the results of regulatory activities
- Improve regulatory activities by:
- maintaining a reliable registry of dams
- obtaining sufficient information to assess the risk and consequences of dam failure
- retaining evidence of regulatory activities performed
- following Up to ensure that owners correct deficiencies or manage them until they are corrected
We made our original recommendations to Alberta Environment and Parks because it regulated all 1,500 dams in Alberta at that time. In 2014, the Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) became the regulator for over 200 energy related dams and tailings ponds and developed the Dam Safety Program to meet our recommendations.