We are reporting the results of six audits that were not ready for the October 2006 Annual Report of the Auditor General. They include:
- Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission—Contracting practices
- Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development
- Referral to the Chief Electoral Officer
- Métis Settlements Ombudsman
- Infrastructure and Transportation— Capital grants to Métis Settlements
- Lakeland College—Contracting practices
- Post Secondary Institutions
- Contracting practices
- General computer controls
- Agriculture, Food and Rural Development—Expense accounts
We normally report our work once a year, but the lessons to be learned regarding the purpose of controls in maintaining integrity are worthy of immediate consideration.
- Hire wisely and then supervise—see AADAC and Lakeland.
- Segregate incompatible job duties—see AADAC and Lakeland.
- Monitor contract results—see AADAC, Lakeland and Aboriginal Affairs.
- Monitor terms and conditions of grants—see Infrastructure and Transportation.
- Sign construction contracts (interim or final) before the work starts—see Grant MacEwan and SAIT.
- Inform staff about how to report alleged employee misconduct—see Agriculture, Food and Rural Development.
- Ensure independence and impartiality of those that investigate—see Aboriginal Affairs.
- Take the necessary steps to protect computer systems—see post secondary institutions.