This year, we issued an unqualified (clean) audit opinion on the Province’s Consolidated Financial Statements. Based on our work, we have concluded the 2019–2020 financial statements are fairly presented in accordance with Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards.
Key Audit Matters
Our audit of the 2019–2020 Consolidated Statements of the Province of Alberta focused on the following key risks—or those matters that, in our professional judgement, were of most significance—during our audit:
- Government’s contracts with the North West Redwater Partnership
- Government’s decision to divest of the Crude-by-Rail contracts
- Environmental liabilities
- Impact of payment date changes for Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) benefits and Income Support benefits
- Investment in the Keystone XL pipeline
- COVID-19 impacts, government’s actions and our audit procedures for the audit of the Province’s Consolidated Financial Statements
The communication of key audit matters does not alter in any way our opinion on the consolidated financial statements, taken as a whole, and we are not, by communicating the key audit matters below, providing separate opinions on the key audit matters or on the accounts or disclosures to which they relate.